Democracy is like a muscle - we have to exercise it to keep it healthy. That’s why your activism should not end with elections, we need you to be involved in the legislative process, too!
Listed below are several categories on how you can get involved.
Advocating from Home
- Call your representatives
- Email your representatives
- Sign up for news alerts from Texas Tribune (The Daily Brief) and/or the Quorum Report
- Online petitions are ok, but they are more so organizing tools than advocacy tools
- Follow key groups on social media - make sure you’re getting notifications
- Find out bill numbers and track them via the Texas Legislature Online (TLO)
Resource: “How to search for bills using Texas Legislature Online” from the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities
- Showing up
Resource: “Testifying at the Texas State Capitol” from Equality Texas
- Registering your position “Dropping a card”
Supporting an organization
These are the people advocating for you all throughout the lege session
- Follow an organization working at the lege, including multi-issue groups such as: ACLU of Texas, Common Cause, Equality Texas, Progress Texas (that’s us!), Texas Civil Rights Project, Texas Freedom Network.
- Donate! They will fly people in from other places, and fund things like phone chargers and late night meals.
Resource: “Progress organizations working to make Texas a better place in 2022” from Progress Texas.
Your donation supports our media and helps us keep it free of ads and paywalls.