Best of the Week - Stay safe, Texans
A straight-to-the-point curation of this week's suggested content for progressives to read and watch.
Make sure you're prepared for Hurricane Harvey! FEMA has compiled resources to keep you safe during the storm. And follow the National Weather Service on Twitter to stay up to date on its progression.
If you're able to donate, the Red Cross of Central and South Texas is an effective place to do so. You can also donate your Airbnb to give evacuees a place to stay.
THINGS TO READ
- Federal Court Finds Texas Political Map Discriminated Against Minorities, Again (Mother Jones)
- 3 Confederate Monuments, 1 Neo-Confederate Group in the Rio Grande Valley (Neta)
- Where's the corporate outrage about restricting women's health care? (Dallas Morning News)
- Interactive: Travel across this gerrymandered Texas district (Texas Tribune)
- Texas effort to replace Planned Parenthood falls short of goal (Politico)
- What's next in Texas' voter ID lawsuit? (Dallas Morning News)
THINGS TO WATCH, LISTEN
- Houston Democrat Lays Out History of Voter Suppression (Progress Texas)
- Judge Blocks Texas Discriminatory Voter ID Law (NowThis)
- The Problem With Confederate Monuments (The Atlantic)
- Texas Lawmakers Denounce White Supremacy Rally (Progress TX )
WAYS TO ACT
- Help us investigate why Texas moms are dying at alarming rates (Survey)
- Statewide Strike & Youth Rally Against Hate (Austin: 09/01)
- Unity Concert & March Against Hate & White Supremacy (Austin: 09/02)
- Fix Texas Political Maps Now! (Progress Texas Petition)
Your donation supports our media and helps us keep it free of ads and paywalls.
Thank you for subscribing - we will be in touch soon!