Pledge Support for the Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is working. According to recent reports from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 6,044,690 Texas residents have been helped by the prevention coverage improvements in ACA. For families and businesses, health care reform is helping Texans every day.
Two recent reports from the U.S. Department on Health & Human Services highlight the impact improvements of the Affordable Care Act have had on Texas families. First, we learned that 3,836,000 Texas residents with at least one new preventive service in 2011 through their private health insurance plans (Source). Additionally, 2,208,690 Texas residents with Medicare who received at least one free preventive benefit in 2011 (Source). All told, that means 6,044,690 Texans have been helped by health reform's prevention coverage improvements!
The benefits of the Affordable Care Act only grow from there:
- Insurance companies can no longer deny coverage because of preexisting conditions
- Individuals who get coverage in the private market have 80% of all their dollars go to better care, not bottom lines
- 103,000 Texas seniors saved an average of $565 in prescription drug costs, thanks to fixes to the infamous Medicare “donut hole” (Source)
- 2.5 million young people across the country, including here in Texas, now have health care coverage because they can stay on their parent's plan until they are 26 (Source)
- 120 of the largest companies in Texas – including AT&T and Southwest Airlines – have received more than $425 million in federal support to make early retiree health coverage more affordable (Source)
- Small businesses can get tax credits to offset up to 35% of employer’s cost of coverage (Source)
- Women have far greater access to critical preventive care measures, including birth control
For the next month, we will be updating you regularly about the Affordable Care Act in Texas. In the mean time, sign up to show your support for the Affordable Care Act and the essential health care protections it has provided here at home.