Latino outreach is important all year, not just during Heritage Month or election season.
Latinos sure have been in political news a lot lately! That's because as the fastest growing voter bloc in America, our community is also growing in political strength.
This weekend is the midpoint of Hispanic Heritage month, which runs from September 15th to October 15th each year. The reason it spans over two months is because it originally started as Heritage Week and, just like taco trucks, it got so popular we needed to add a week on every corner.
But Latino outreach is important all year, not just during Heritage Month or election season. That's why we advocate for issues important to the community all year every year.
During this Hispanic Heritage Month, I want to share a selection of our most popular posts over the past year that address many issues in the community. I hope you find these insightful and useful, and I hope you'll share them with your networks.
- On Labor Day, we published a blog article on an historic march through Texas led by Cesar Chavez, advocating for worker's rights.
- Over the summer, I took to CNN to give my response to the "taco trucks on every corner" statement made by a Donald Trump supporter.
- Recently, Ace highlighted efforts by the State Board of Education to push a Mexican-American heritage textbook filled with lies that called Latinos "lazy."
- Phillip wrote about how the Texas Civil Rights Project successfully won a court case which stated that the state of Texas cannot deny birth certificates to Latino children (which is crazy, but yes, this was really happening).
- During the spring, Lucy and Mariam worked on a piece detailing how Equal Pay is especially a problem for women of color.
- And Glenn wrote on how the political redistricting hurts everyone, but especially minority communities.
You can also visit our entire library of blogs related to Latinos.
A growing Latino community embodies the spirit of hard work and the idea that everyone starts off in this country with a fair shot.
Your donation supports our media and helps us keep it free of ads and paywalls.
Thank you for subscribing - we will be in touch soon!