Conspiracies, Manifestos, and YouTube: 9 Weird Things From Greg Abbott’s First Year
His biggest accomplishment is that he might be making us miss Rick Perry...
- Jade Helm 15 conspiracy – News outlets mocked Abbott when he sided with a talk radio host who said the Jade Helm 15 military exercise was a secret plot by President Obama to invade Texas… via Wal-Mart tunnels.
- Legislating by YouTube – After viewing highly edited Internet videos, the governor cut Medicaid and HIV prevention funding to Planned Parenthood without any formal investigation.
- Signed a bill allowing guns on college campuses – Just let that sink in.
- Flouted Supreme Court on marriage equality – After the historic ruling, he issued an embarrassing directive to state agencies on how to circumvent the law (they did not comply)
- Paid $104 in taxes – On a $134,000 salary - and you still pay for his housing!
- Even the uninsured rate is bigger in Texas - His refusal to expand Medicaid or access to affordable care leaves Texas with the largest uninsured population in America.
- Ethics? We don’t need no stinkin’ ethics – He said ethics reform was an emergency item, but didn’t seem to care when the Legislature did nothing. And he still takes money from predatory lenders.
- Latinos Shmatinos – Supports a policy denying birth certificates to Latino children born in the US, and signed an $800 million immigration discrimination plan that turned into a runaway boondoggle for law enforcement.
- Constitutional Manifesto – The Houston Chronicle called his bizarre, 90-page document to amend the U.S. constitution more of an “appeal to the rabid anti-government crowd in his party than it is a sincere effort to find productive solutions to problems only government can solve.”
Only 75% of the term left to go!
Your donation supports our media and helps us keep it free of ads and paywalls.
Thank you for subscribing - we will be in touch soon!