Progress Texas is a non-profit media organization working to promote progressive values in our state. For 10 years we have been the leading progressive voice in Texas media that stands up for the left, fights the right, and advocates for issues important to a growing number of people in our state. Each year our team generates millions of online impressions and hundreds of print and broadcast news stories for the progressive movement - and we’d like you to help us keep it going.
Texas is the fastest growing state in the nation, yet our political leaders do not always reflect the opinions and priorities of a growing number of people in our state.
That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a multi-talented individual to lead our issue management efforts and to be our representative in issue coalitions. This person will work in our collaborative team environment to help inform our media work and message development in support of progressive issues at the federal, state, and local level. The ideal person will have familiarity with political institutions, particularly at the state level, sharp political instincts, a knack for communications, and a good sense of humor.
Location: Austin or remote office. We are interested in qualified candidates from all major media markets in Texas.
We’re hiring a full time Advocacy Manager to lead our efforts in issue management, representing the organization in coalitions, providing communications counsel and message development for both in an effort to amplify progressive voices in the media.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Lead our work on issues management primarily in our two major issue areas of voting rights and abortion rights, during election cycles and legislative sessions, and to help our team communicate this work via digital and traditional media.
- Message development on behalf of these issues to guide coalition efforts to effectively shape favorable public opinion in support of these issues.
- Offer strategic communication counsel for issues and within coalitions on best practices for generating media coverage, and working with our communications team to publicly promote this work via traditional media, social media, and other online properties.
- Extensive written work including grant reports, program plans, and blogs.
- Participate in the editing process for Progress Texas written content in coordination with the communications team.
- Manage and report on Progress Texas grant-related work.
- Represent Progress Texas in media interviews, as well as with political partners.
- Provide training in message development and values to progressive partners when needed.
- Experience: 3 years or more in a political campaign, political office, advocacy organization, or news media environment, and familiarity with elections and the Texas legislative process.
- Strong writer with demonstrated creative and analytical writing abilities, including an ability to edit others’ work.
- A commitment to progressive values including our primary issue ares of voting rights and abortion rights, as well as support and understanding for issues such as immigrant rights, LGBTQ equality, racial justice, criminal justice reform, access to affordable care, fighting climate change, and more.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, campaign-style work environment.
- Spanish language is a plus.
- Experience speaking on the record is also a plus.
Compensation: Salary is competitive and based on experience. Progress Texas offers excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, and an IRA with an organizational match.
Hours: we are committed to a healthy work-life balance, but we are also committed to standing up for progress at times that often occur outside of regular business hours. That said, when necessary, it is important that our team have an ability to work weekends and evenings.
Application Process : Please submit a resume and writing sample to email@example.com by March 6th. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Progress Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, especially people of color, women, persons with disabilities and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex are encouraged to apply.
More about Progress Texas: Find us online at progresstexas.org, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.