(TEXAS) - Today, the U.S. House of Representatives is conducting a hearing on the IRS scrutinizing 501(c)4s, and several times during the hearing there was correct push-back and clarification that progressive groups were scrutinized, as well. Two-thirds of those groups that received extra scrutiny from the IRS were not conservative. By point of contrast, 85% of outside spending in the 2012 election cycle was by conservative organizations (Source: Open Secrets).
The following is a statement from Progress Texas Executive Director Ed Espinoza on the matter:
Progress Texas was subject to the type of additional vetting that Tea Party groups are complaining about. We accept this vetting process and we've abided by it. We all play by the same rules, and Tea Party groups should not be exempt from the rules that apply to every other organization.
If Tea Party groups want the process to move faster, perhaps they should follow the lead of Tea Party attorney Dan Backer and advocate for more government employees to ease the strain on the process.
- Bloomberg - IRS Sent Same Letter to Democrats That Fed Tea Party Row\
- Associated Press - Holder: Potential civil rights violations at IRS
- ABC News - Obama Juggles Scandals
- MSNBC - Obama boots out IRS commissioner amid scandal
- Slate - Read the IRS's Irritating Requests for a Liberal (!) Group in Texas
- Raw Story - Liberal group Progress Texas also received extra IRS scrutiny
- ABC News radio - Acting IRS Chief Resigns, Obama Condemns 'Inexcusable' Targeting of Tea Party Groups
- Examiner.Com - IRS bombshell: IRS gave Democrats and progressives problems too
- The Fiscal Times - At Least One Liberal Group Got IRS Scrutiny